History of St Mary's, Hackford
Hakaforda is recorded in the Doomesday book once called Hakeford juxta Windham
Dedicated to St Mary. Entry is through a lovely lych-gate.
The building dates from 11th century and substantialy altered in 14th & 15th centuries. The tower is late 15th c in Perpendicular style - 1 bell c1500 by Richard Brasyer Norwich.
The north dorway is a plain round headed Norman period, standing in 11th century wall. The south porch is 15th century of flushwork with knapped flints. There is a 15th.c water stoop. The Chancel has 'Y' traceried windows 14th.c with perhaps an earlier priest's door present. The weathered oak door is original above tin-plate text "This is none other than the House of God".
The font is 15thc octagonal with decoration of the cross keys of St Peter; chalices and host, the arms of Montfort and the arms of Beckng.
A portion of the glass is Mediaeval with which the church was once lavishly decorated. More tin-plate texts are present over the windows.The roof is from 1880